1 post / 0 new

Replacement Transformer


Chris Street (chris_street)
Username: chris_street

Registered: 06-2009
Posted on Wednesday, June 24, 2009 - 11:38 am:   

Hi everyone,

I'm a UK user of a 410 sixty five and I have recently had it serviced by my amp tech. The amp sounds great but he did report that the plate voltages are little low on both the HI and LO settings, possibly reducing my headroom and output.

The amp as far as i am aware is a US import with a large retro-fit input transformer bolted to the side of the cabinet.

I am a little unsure myself whether it would be the input or output transformers that will be causing this, IN any case i would be looking at replacing them to ensure my amp sounds the best it can (sounds bloody good already!).

Would I have to look at getting them rewound, or are there off the shelf replacements? I am also unsure of the availability in the UK, any ideas?

Cameron Kinsey (gibson175)
Username: gibson175

Registered: 09-2007
Posted on Sunday, July 05, 2009 - 08:59 pm:   

You can get a new replacement Musicman spec. output transformer from Mojo music supply - just match the model number to your amp. They are excellent replacements - even the wire colours match so they are an easy refit. I believe it is fairly common for these amps to lose gain/top end from the slow death of the OT. I have a 210 sixty-five and it worked a treat.