1 post / 0 new

San Jose CA


Posted on Tuesday, December 07, 2004 - 06:45 pm:   

Anyone know of a place in the San Francisco Bay area that can check out my MM amp and replace the caps... the amp works ok, just time for the 28 year old to have new caps...thanks
Steve Kennedy (admin)
Posted on Saturday, January 15, 2005 - 09:39 pm:   

Any qualified and experienced technician who can successfully work on Marshall and Fender tube amps should have no problem with Music Man amps as long as you provide them with a clean copy of the schematic for your model.

These schematics are available through this site's home page from the Ernie Ball web site.

michael kaus
Posted on Sunday, January 16, 2005 - 06:13 am:   

In addition to what Steve said, ask a few questions of your <tech>. Ive seen some guys say " I always bias EL34's to so and so" . MM amps have 700v on the plates and the biasing schedule is not the same as other amps with EL34/6CA7 tubes. If you bias with cathode current or crossover dist or shunt method(I wouldn't do this one), these amps ARE DIFFERENT. Just make sure they are familiar with MM's. Mike.
Posted on Sunday, January 16, 2005 - 09:20 am:   

Do the MM amps have 700V on the 6L6 plates as well?
Steve Kennedy (admin)
Username: admin

Registered: 03-2002
Posted on Sunday, January 30, 2005 - 06:13 pm:   

Yes! All Music Man tube guitar amps are high-voltage designs (the schematics are available on this site) and have 700Vdc on the plates when in the high-power mode.

The bias is set to about 1/2 of what a typical Fender might be set. The Music Man Factory Service Bulletins are posted on this web site in several different places. FSB #1 is all about biasing and should be included with the schematic for your amp anytime you take it to a technician.